Government Offices

Social Security Administration

Postdocs and visiting researcher scholars who enter the country with a J-1 or H-1 visa and who are compensated by the University should immediately upon arrival secure a social security number. This federal identification number is required to start up campus paperwork to activate compensation and the issuance of a CAL identification card which is needed to access services, e.g., library, e-mail, housing, and parking.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
All non-U.S. citizens present in the United States (including permanent residents - "green card" holders) are required to report their residence address to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) during their stay. This requirement has always been in place, but the USCIS has not enforced it until recently. We therefore encourage all non-citizen students, visiting researcher scholars, and employees associated with the University to report their resident address to the USCIS in accordance with the law.

All non-U.S. citizens must inform USCIS of their change of address.