What is OPEN?
OPEN is a program initiated by the BPA to promote equity, diversity and inclusion in the postdoc and graduate student community. Its mission is to build a network of core groups of postdocs and graduate students that will focus on issues that women, ethnic minorities, LGBTQIA community and other groups face in academia. OPEN will promote intersectionality and dialogue between these groups and the broader postdoc and graduate student community in a series of events and activities.
Research in an academic setting can be competitive and intense. The lack of inclusiveness and diversity can exacerbate pressures and impair the performance of a postdoc or graduate student. Despite having such a significant impact on the professional careers of this research community, these issues are often overlooked in academic settings. The purpose of OPEN is to support the management of issues of equity, diversity and inclusion by
- bolstering career development through informal networking events and workshops
- developing a broader and deeper understanding of the challenges of underrepresented groups in the research community through dialogue
- launching an online Q&A series and a one-on-one mentoring program
- creating online forums where postdocs and graduate students can anonymously support each other
- setting up a database with bibliographic references related to diversity and inclusiveness in academia
What can OPEN do for you?
- If you are OPEN to connecting with other postdocs and graduate students who are interested in issues of equity, diversity and inclusion,
- If you are OPEN to sharing your experiences as a member of one of the underrepresented groups and/or learning from others,
- If you are OPEN to personal and professional support from like-minded people,
- If you are OPEN to asking and answering questions about what can be done to make Berkeley a more inclusive and diverse place for postdocs and graduate students,
- If you are interested in being a part of a meaningful cause
For more information, please contact Nadya Vasilyeva at email@example.com