Health Insurance Requirements
Postdoctoral Scholars must have adequate health insurance coverage for the duration of their appointment. You are eligible to participate in the UC Postdoctoral Scholars Benefits Plan (PSBP), which includes medical, dental, vision, life, accidental death and dismemberment, and disability insurance, as well as worker’s compensation. Your family is also eligible to participate in the medical, vision, and dental plans. Postdoctoral Scholars are obligated to contribute to the monthly subscriber portion of the medical insurance premium, unless they opt out. This plan satisfies the U.S. visa requirements and begins on the first day of your appointment. To obtain this health insurance coverage through the University, you must enroll in PSBP within thirty-one calendar days from the first day of your official appointment. Failure to timely enroll could result in a delay to your access to services.
UC Postdoctoral Scholars Benefits Plan (PSBP) Insurance
The University is pleased to offer Postdoctoral Scholars a health and welfare package through Garnett-Powers Associates. The Postdoctoral Scholar Benefits Plan (PSBP) is a comprehensive program that is comprised of the following plans and insurance carriers. Some of these plans offer you the choice between a Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) and a Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) model. Please refer to the UC Postdoctoral Scholar Benefit Plans & Rates for a more comprehensive overview of each plan.
• Medical Insurance: Health Net HMO or Health Net PPO
• Dental Insurance: Health Net HMO or Principal Point of Service PPO
• Vision Insurance: Health Net PPO
• Life Insurance: Standard, includes Medical Evacuation & Repatriation for J-1 & J-2 visa holders
• AD&D Insurance: Standard
• Short-Term Disability Insurance: Standard
• Voluntary Supplemental Life Insurance: Standard
• Voluntary Supplemental AD&D Insurance: Standard
• Voluntary Long-Term Disability Insurance: Standard
Important Notes: for Life, AD&D, and short-term disability insurance, your department will automatically enroll you and pay for these plans if you are eligible. Additionally, medical evacuation & repiatration coverage is required of all J-1 and J-2 non-immigrant visa holders. Postdocs and their dependents are automatically covered with the Postdoctoral Scholars Benefits Program (PSBP) Life Insurance. For more information about PSBP repatriation and medical evacuation benefits, click here.
Forms, Instructions, and Health & Welfare Insurance Premium Rates
• PSBP Insurance Benefits
• PSBP Mental Health, Pharmacy, & Chiropractor Benefits
• PSBP Wellness & Pregnancy Benefits
• PSBP MedEx Travel Benefits
• PSBP Enrollment Form
• PSBP Health Net Claims Process
• COBRA Coverage After Appointment Termination
Other Benefits & Resources