Health Insurance Requirements
All international visiting scholars and student researchers on the UC Berkeley campus are required to have medical insurance throughout the duration of their appointment, either through Garnett-Powers & Associates, the insurance broker for UC Berkeley, or from an alternate insurer. If you have an alternate insurer, the insurance must meet the requirements listed below. If you are an international visiting scholar with your own coverage, that coverage must also meet the J-1 Visa requirements, as well as provide this same coverage to your eligible dependents. If your insurance meets the minimum requirements of coverage, you can choose to waive out of the health insurance that UC Berkeley provides through Garnett-Powers & Associates. Otherwise, visiting scholars and student researchers must enroll in the plan through Garnett-Powers & Associates within 31 days of their appointment start date. Failure to enroll on a timely basis will prevent you from receiving benefits for the current plan year.
Health Insurance Requirements (effective December 1, 2015)
• $100,000 per accident and illness in medical coverage
• A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
• Coinsurance cannot exceed 25%
• Medical evacuation coverage must be at least $50,000
• Repatriation coverage must be at least $25,000
• Pre-existing conditions must be covered with a waiting period no longer than 12 months
• Carrier must be at least "A" rated or backed by the full faith and credit of the exchange visitor’s government
Please note that U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents are not subject to these health insurance requirements, and do not need to provide Garnett-Powers & Associates proof of health insurance coverage. Additionally, U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents are still eligible but not required to purchase insurance coverage with Garnett-Powers & Associates.
UC Berkeley Visiting Scholar Benefits Plan Insurance
Forms, Instructions, and Health & Welfare Insurance Premium Rates
If your insurance meets the coverage requirements outlined on the Garnett-Power's website, you may waive (decline coverage) for this plan using the Waiver Form above. If you waive coverage for yourself and/or your eligible dependents, you will not be eligible for coverage under Plan A until the New Plan Year that begins on September 1st of each year, unless you experience a qualifying event, such as marriage, birth or adoption of a child, or a loss of other coverage. However you may enroll in Plan B and Plan C at any time if you are an international affiliate.
The entire waiver application is completed online and you must provide proof of comparable insurance coverage by providing a copy of your insurance policy or schedule of benefits in English (If your policy is not written in English, you must provide an official translation of the insurance). You must receive a waiver request approval within 31 days of your appointment start date.
Other Benefits & Resources
• UC Berkeley Visiting Researcher Scholar Benefits Program (UCBVSPB) PowerPoint Training
• UC Berkeley Visiting Scholar Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan for 2016 - 2017 Plan Year
• University Health Services