Visiting Scholars

Visiting Scholar Appointments

Who is eligible for a Visiting Scholar Appointment?

A visiting scholar appointment allows individuals with a Ph.D. (or the terminal degree in their field) earned more than 5 years ago the chance to participate in short-term educational or research projects under the supervision or sponsorship of a UC Berkeley faculty member. 

Per the University of California Office of the President policy, scholars must be on leave from an academic position or other employment, and the primary purpose of their residency on the Berkeley campus must be to conduct independent or collaborative research. Visiting Scholars are self-supported from external funding sources appropriate for the duration of the appointment.  Remote appointments are not permitted; all appointments must be conducted on campus. Appointments are granted one year at a time, with a minimum appointment of 30 days and a maximum of two years. Current UC (all campuses) staff, faculty, and postdocs, as well as all current UC students, are ineligible for these positions. Visiting scholars may not hold concurrent employment/appointment at UC Berkeley or any other UC campus during their visiting scholar appointment (e.g. Lecturer title to teach).

Foreign visiting scholars are primarily on the J or F-1 OPT visa. B-1/B-2 visas and waivers are not permitted for this research title.

Are Visiting Scholars Compensated?

Visiting scholars are ineligible for compensation, whether in the form of salary or wages, from UC Berkeley. Visiting scholars are self-supported and appropriate to the duration of the appointment from external sources. However, individual research units/departments or the faculty sponsor may provide a living allowance of up to $30,000 per year to help offset the cost of living in the greater San Francisco Bay Area. Departments may also request approval to reimburse a visiting scholar's UC Berkeley business-related travel costs, and incidental research expenses, as long as they are aligned with the UCOP APM-430 policy

How does one obtain a Visiting Scholar Appointment?

Please contact the academic department or a faculty member whose research aligns with your training and research goals. They will help you determine your eligibility and notify you if they are accepting visiting scholars. They may also assist in covering the required University Services Fee on your behalf if you are unable to do so.

Visiting Scholar Programs by Department

The following list is only a sampling of departmental visiting scholar programs on campus. Not all departments have a formal website dedicated to visiting scholars.