Visiting Student Researcher Appointments

Visiting Student Researcher Appointments

Who is eligible for a Visiting Student Researcher Appointment?

Visiting student researchers are students currently pursuing a degree in a degree-granting program at another university (not in the University of California system), and possess at least a bachelor’s degree. The minimum length of an appointment is one month and the maximum appointment length allowed is one year. Please note that students enrolled at any UC campus are ineligible for this type of appointment as they enjoy the benefits of reciprocity at UC Berkeley.

Are Visiting Student Researcher Compensated?

Visiting student researchers may not be compensated for conducting research. However, individual research units or departments may provide a living allowance of up to $20,000 per year to scholars to offset the cost of living in the greater San Francisco Bay Area. Departments may also request approval to reimburse a visiting student researcher's UC Berkeley business-related travel costs, and incidental research expenses, as long as they are aligned with UC Berkeley policy. 

How does one obtain a Visiting Student Researcher Appointment?

Please contact the academic department  or a faculty member whose research aligns with your training and research goals. They will help you determine your eligibility and notify you if they are accepting visiting student researchers.